Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#11797 - Sat, 29 Jan 2005 07:01:00 billy currie live
robert Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: london
it would be brilliant if billy did some live shows in support of still movement. it was my favouroute album of 2004. has billy done any other solo shows in the past.

#11798 - Sat, 29 Jan 2005 13:52:00 Re: billy currie live
Chappie Offline
Congratulations on your 1,000th post!

Loc: Nah, Luton Airport
The only one I know about was the fantasic concert he did at the National Geographical Museum to promote Unearthed. But if there are any more I'm sure this is the place to find out.

Billy, how about a small tour for Still Movement, please. smile

#11799 - Sat, 29 Jan 2005 20:01:00 Re: billy currie live
Dadge Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: Birmingham, England
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Chaplow:
The only one I know about was the fantasic concert he did at the National Geographical Museum to promote Unearthed.
That must've been good. What date was it?

I agree that it'd be great if Billy would do a concert or two. Does he still enjoy playing live?

A

#11800 - Sat, 29 Jan 2005 20:11:00 Re: billy currie live
Chappie Offline
Congratulations on your 1,000th post!

Loc: Nah, Luton Airport
I think it was either October or November 1998 (the mind's going you know). Cerise would know far more about it..

#11801 - Sat, 29 Jan 2005 21:35:00 Re: billy currie live
Rob Harris Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Ledbury, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Dadge:
That must've been good. What date was it?
There were two concerts : Friday 25 and Saturday 26 September, 1998.

Rob

#11802 - Mon, 31 Jan 2005 05:38:00 Re: billy currie live
Oesterreicher II Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Buxham St. Deirdre
I went on the Friday. It was raining, but the walk up from the tube past the museums was the more atmospheric for it. The ticket was in the form of a CD sleeve, ostensibly for the recording that might be on sale at the concert (calling it a "gig" feels a bit wrong with all that wood panelling and atmosphere of days gone by). I kept mine in pristine condition, even though no CD was forthcoming at the time.

As a concert I found it a strange hybrid, and it certainly made me think more and listen to the music in a different way. It has definitely grown on me since. I was listening to it the other day whilst making up random numbers for my tax return and found it inspiring. The concert's visual accompaniment, though, didn't do it for me (and I'm being careful, as I gather this is a delicate area of conflicting artisticm sensibilities): the original pictures - from the Royal Geographic Society archives, some only recently unearthed (geddit?!) from dusty years in the vaults - on which the video show was based were stunning, glimpses of a world gone by through eyes now closed, and Billy chose them well, but the applied treatment - a little like the "reflected" effect at the start of the OSD video - lost a lot of the spirit and atmosphere for me and added distortion and confusion; but then I am rather sentimental in my tastes, and the overall effect was perhaps more appreciated by fans of the abstract. My comments are purely subjective, not objective or absolute.

I'd certainly like to see Mr. Currie live again, whatever the venue. Maybe we could have a quick poll to see who'd commit to a soiree, were one to be forthcoming, to demonstrate that it'd be worth his while - put a business case for it, in other words ?

#11803 - Mon, 31 Jan 2005 06:13:00 Re: billy currie live
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know he played 'The Garage' venue in Highbury/Islington a few years ago with B.J Cole (sorry, can not be more specific with the year). I think it was reviewed in EV at the time, so Cerise may be able to pull a few more details out about that one.