Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Click here to order Midge Ure's new album Orchestrated now!

Topic Options
#11045 - Fri, 24 Apr 2009 05:36:00 in the intervening two point five decades
SlowMo' Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: West Sussex
As I sit here on Thursday night, slightly (edit @ 00:13 - moderately) fuelled with Talisker (surely the finest malt whisky this side of anywhere).. I recall that the last time I saw Uvox was for the Set Movements tour at the Hammersmith Odeon..

..at that time I was an 18 year old, enjoying my music, thoroughly into Ultravox and not aware that Loves Great Adventure (sorry, just don't like it!) and TDPT were just around the corner.

My first experience of the band that brings us all here had been Canterbury Odeon on the 12th of December 1980.. I stood, transfixed as the first live gig I'd ever seen unfolded around me.. and I do mean Transfixed!! This date in 1980 set in my mind that I wanted to be part of a band.. not sure how, or when, but I wanted to be a part of all of this!

That dream still burned within me at the Hammy O for the Set Movements tour, and had by that time been sustained by other bands such as U2, the Waterboys and not least, Simple Minds..

..Eventually in 85 I got together with a bunch of friends and what evolved from that was the best of times I could ever have had, making music with a bunch of mates for 6 years, having a laugh, breathing life into and nurturing our own compositions etc.. we never wanted to be famous, we were in it for the giggle, and giggle we did - at our own little pinnacle playing to over 400 people!

Those days are gone now, life has a habit of getting in the way (and some bastard steals your equipment too!), but the ashes of memories are still aglow (see what I did there.. ) my weapon of choice was the bass guitar..

occasionally I take a look into those embers and hear the noises I made.. I hear traces, big traces of, amongst others, Derek Forbes (Thank you sir!!)

But here we are, two and a half decades later and the circle will complete tomorrow at the Hammy O..

Oi, Slo' - what's the point of this post??? I hear you scream.. Well here it is...

Step forward Chris Cross.. the original Quiet Man!, take a bow and please accept my heartfelt thanks for having such an effect, that compelled me to pick up a bass, learn how to do it justice and to ultimately have the greatest giggle ever.. anyone who's been in a band will know what I mean!

ps.. you went to the same school as my dad - but you look much cooler!

#11046 - Fri, 24 Apr 2009 18:31:00 Re: in the intervening two point five decades
Leona Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: UK
kiss

#11047 - Mon, 27 Apr 2009 07:00:00 Re: in the intervening two point five decades
Oesterreicher II Offline

Loc: Buxham St. Deirdre
And how richly rewarded you - and we all - were at the Hammy O (now the Hammy A) on Friday night with a superlative performance and a Mr. Cross beaming from ear to ear. As if playing bass guitar and synth simultaneously and then playing synth with one hand in his pocket were not enough, he went on to jig about with both hands in his pockets at moments when his talents were temporarily unrequired in a song, truly a mark of utter coolness that few could emulate. The grin on his face said it all. Terrific.

#11048 - Thu, 30 Apr 2009 04:18:00 Re: in the intervening two point five decades
Emulator Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: New Malden, Surrey, UK
He's the coolest thing playing four strings.

End of.

#11049 - Thu, 30 Apr 2009 04:24:00 Re: in the intervening two point five decades
Emulator Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: New Malden, Surrey, UK
Ps There's this rough live video of Sleepwalk from 1980 and he's doing the hand-in-pocket thing there too. One of the reviews of the current tour mentioned this and described it as "insouciant" which is somewhat wide of the mark as he's just laid-back rather than unconcerned.

#11050 - Wed, 06 May 2009 21:26:00 Re: in the intervening two point five decades
Lavaocean Offline

Loc: Barcelona
Quote:
Originally posted by SlowMo':
Step forward Chris Cross.. the original Quiet Man!, take a bow and please accept my heartfelt thanks for having such an effect, that compelled me to pick up a bass, learn how to do it justice and to ultimately have the greatest giggle ever.. anyone who's been in a band will know what I mean!

ps.. you went to the same school as my dad - but you look much cooler!
Step forward, Christopher!!! I told you in Edinburgh that EVERYTHING WOULD BE FINE. Because I knew. We all knew. Apparently, you guys had the biggest doubts and worries. See, even if you had played badly, to us (the emotionally-oriented) it wouldn't have mattered. But you didn't. You were beaming; the energy you transmitted with just your smile (to start with) cannot be described with words. It was to be felt.

You were beaming in Embra. I had only the Scottish gigs programmed. But when I got home, I couldn't sit still for a second, with the tink-tink-tink-tink in my head and all the emotions. What a catalyst UV turned out to be!!! I booked a flight for Bristol and, once back, for the Hammersmith gig (and an idyllic stay in Bognor Regis, I must confess).

Hammersmith was an explosion. You never stopped transmitting pure energy. You were vibrating. YOU WERE DANCING!!! You never stopped moving!! You should have seen yourself with our eyes!

Three flights Barcelona-UK and back on three April week ends (and working in between), that's crazy! Had anyone told me I'd ever be doing that, I wouldn't have believed one word of it!!!

So you guys please carry on and contribute even more so to our happiness (means: come back soon!!!).

And... sorry! I can't keep this photo to myself!!! I am SO pleased with it! All cried out from the gig and now with this moron's face expression because I'm standing next to Dr. Allen, tee-hee!!!! nutjob

Alas, I did not have the chance - despite my number of trips - to see you a last time in order to say "See - told ya everthing would be OK". And perhaps to share a cup of green tea with you (a quick one, of course) - or whatever it is that keeps you in such excellent shape. wink

[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/Lavaocean/IBwithChrisCrossEdinburgh10-04-2009.jpg?[/img]

#11051 - Wed, 06 May 2009 21:52:00 Re: in the intervening two point five decades
Havocman Offline

Loc: Moving westwards as soon as po...
Quote:
Originally posted by Lavaocean:
(and an idyllic stay in Bognor Regis, i must confess).
"Idyllic" and "Bognor Regis" - two words you very rarely hear in a sentence together. wink

#11052 - Mon, 11 May 2009 01:50:00 Re: in the intervening two point five decades
Adam Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: Brighton
Is Chris a Dr of whatever he does?