Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#1076 - Sun, 04 Apr 2010 22:56:00 Blurred Girl / Hiroshima
angrymoose Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: Norfolk
Hi,

I'm just a bit curious if there are any techy sorts who know.

The backing rhythm for Blurred Girl is very similar to Hiroshima. It also sounds like it was slowed down for Film One. I've also heard it on Oxygene by JMJ.

Was this built into the early synths in the seventies much like some really dodgy ones that come with the Yamaha and Casio keyboards?

Hope everyone's having a good Easter.

Craig viking

#1077 - Mon, 05 Apr 2010 06:41:00 Re: Blurred Girl / Hiroshima
Flip Martian Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Here
Hiya. I can't vouch for Jarre but Mr Foxx (and Mr Cann!) were using Roland drum machines back then. Hiroshima had a TR-66 or 77 (very early preset-patterns-only machines). Can't remember which of those 2 was on Hiroshima. Later the CR-78 came along, which Warren used (think Mr X) and John used all over Metamatic. The CR-78 was programmable (albeit in a fairly basic way).

No synths came with rhythm thingies back then (although home organs did). Hope that helps!

#1078 - Wed, 07 Apr 2010 03:08:00 Re: Blurred Girl / Hiroshima
Emulator Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: New Malden, Surrey, UK
Yup, Flip's right. On HMA Warren used a Roland TR-77 drum machine, arguably the first use of a DM on a commercial UK rock album. It was preset-based and designed as an add-on for home organs. Its on/off control was a metal strip so it would sometimes stop or start spontaenously during a set when Warren's leg brushed against it! He combined two of its presets to get the unusual feel on the song.

Both he and Mr Foxx became enamoured of the 77's follow-up, the semi-programmable CR-78 which featured a fair bit on Vienna (Astradyne, Mr. X and Vienna) and on Metamatic. It also saw heavy use by Mr Numan, OMD, New Musik and several other bands. Warren took his to extremes though: he ditched the original wooden case, put it into a see-through perspex one, modded it with separate outputs for the 78's sounds and even tweaked the tuning and decay pots on the circuit board with pliers! That's our Mr. Cann; never happy with just a vanilla machine!

#1079 - Sat, 10 Apr 2010 23:47:00 Re: Blurred Girl / Hiroshima
angrymoose Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: Norfolk
Thanks guys laugh

I'm listening to Blurred Girl right now and it's pretty obvious now that it's a drum pattern. Very similar to Oxygene 13, which is a cracking tune.

Craig viking