Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Click here to order Midge Ure's new album Orchestrated now!

Topic Options
#10650 - Fri, 14 Jan 2005 19:25:00 Huw Lioyd Langton Band
PASSINGSTRANGER Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: St. Albans U.K
Hi Warren!

Noticed some shots of your good self on the Huw Lloyd Langton website:
http://www.huwlloyd-langton.co.uk/llg.html
And scroll down,
There is one shot of you with John Clarke, and it mentions about joining to play keyboards? or have I misinterpreted the caption confused

Kindest regards, smile
Rob.

#10651 - Sat, 15 Jan 2005 10:18:00 Re: Huw Lioyd Langton Band
Warren Cann Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Los Angeles, USA
Dear Rob,

Er.. yes and no, that is... I did play keyboards with them. But I joined primarily as rhythm guitarist. I noticed that caption, too. Odd, but there you go.

I played keyboards on the songs that suited them best/didn't need a 2nd guitar part/were too fast & widdly-twiddly for me to keep up, or a combination of all three.
lmao

Best regards,

Warren

#10652 - Sat, 15 Jan 2005 17:15:00 Re: Huw Lioyd Langton Band
Sleepwalker Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Widdly-Twiddly....I know what you mean!!! lmao

#10653 - Sun, 16 Jan 2005 00:57:00 Re: Huw Lioyd Langton Band
PASSINGSTRANGER Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: St. Albans U.K
Thank you for your response Warren.
Best wishes,
Rob. smile

#10654 - Sun, 16 Jan 2005 03:02:00 Re: Huw Lioyd Langton Band
Cerise Offline

Loc: Bristol, UK
I have some photos somewhere Warren, of that HLL show in Bristol. I'll see if I can turf 'em out and put the up in the Media Archive. laugh

#10655 - Sun, 16 Jan 2005 07:03:00 Re: Huw Lioyd Langton Band
Oesterreicher II Offline

Loc: Buxham St. Deirdre
Cerise, ma duck, when I met you briefly over a painfully-drawn pint in Bris'l back in 200 x you appeared to ahve the normal human number of arms and heads; however your stated avowed intents and subsequent performance would indicate a life-form endowed with at least two brains and three pairs of hands, not to mention the ability to slip between parallel universes to enable you to cram no fewer than 28.35 hours into each day. You're a bloody marvel, you sofa-slinging powerhouse, you, and I for one am utterly in awe at the energy and enthusiasm which you bring to the administration of this site and the service which you provide to we enlightened few. My God, it might be the Thatcher's Rough Scrumpy talking, but I second it without delay! ( Burps in distinctly base fashion and shuffles off to bed amidst a pile of part-finished TIMES crossword puzzles. ) I feel positively torpid compared to your example-seting self. Don't change!

#10656 - Sun, 16 Jan 2005 07:35:00 Re: Huw Lioyd Langton Band
Oesterreicher II Offline

Loc: Buxham St. Deirdre
. . . Not to mention semi-literate. Who keeps moving the keys around on my computer's keyboard?

#10657 - Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:33:00 Re: Huw Lioyd Langton Band
The airman Offline
Pass level: VIP

Loc: sussex
I guess itís not really relevant, however, I remember going to Gary Numans Metal Rhythm tour back in 1988 and getting an extra treat as Warren played guitar on track with the support band, which, I seem to remember being called Paper Toys or something like that. Being an Ultravox fan, this was a massive addition to the show!

#10658 - Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:45:00 Re: Huw Lioyd Langton Band
Flip Martian Offline

Loc: Here
Paper Toys is right -they were managed by Pete Gilbert and Frank Drake, which I guess is how Warren met them? Warren produced their 1 and only single from what I remember.

They went on to do far harder sounding stuff when they escapeed P & F's evil clutches ( wink ) and became Eden's Rage - (not very ultravoxy sounding despite the title!).

#10659 - Fri, 28 Jan 2005 13:59:00 Re: Huw Lioyd Langton Band
Warren Cann Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Los Angeles, USA
Dear Flip,

When I produced the Paper Toy's first single, it was as a favour to Pete & Frank. I spent a lot of time with them in pre-production, mostly showing them how multi-track recording & sequencing really works. I'm sure they would agree that it was pretty lightweight stuff, but you really have to remember, the guys were about sixteen at the time! I took great pains to ensure that the Paper toys single was their sound & their music. I just tidied it up by arranging it and made sure the mix was good. I didn't want them listening to the playbacks and thinking, "Well it's great and all, but it's not us - it's Warren."

And you're right, their later stuff was much harder sounding.

Joe and I became good friends and I produced some more tracks for them later on in their Eden's Rage days (and, believe me, I really tried to talk them out of that name... but it was their decision, after all).

The last three tracks I did with them sounded great, IMHO. They'd come on light years in terms of writing and playing. Didn't help them get a deal, though!

The highlight for me, aside from the general fun of it all, was when their guitarist didn't turn up on time on the last day of recording (prior to the mixing days). So I played rhythm guitar. It really was a lot of fun.

Best regards,

Warren

#10660 - Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:24:00 Re: Huw Lioyd Langton Band
Flip Martian Offline

Thanks Warren - Joe and Paul were nice guys. I enjoyed their later stuff far more and saw them live a few times (they even played the Marquee at 1 point I seem to remember). I'm sure I have still their cassette Eden's Rage release knocking around somewhere - that had 3 or 4 tracks on it I think.

Thanks for filling in the gaps!

#10661 - Wed, 05 Aug 2009 02:12:00 Re: Huw Lioyd Langton Band
Glenn Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: Canada
Weren't Paper Toys called "Desire" for a brief while too?

I remember opening for them at the Preservation Hall in Edinburgh. Gosh, it must have been 1990, I think. Or thereabouts. I think I'd have been 17 back then. Yikes, that was a while back now.

Aren't Pete & Frank just the greatest guys, though?

#10662 - Wed, 05 Aug 2009 05:59:00 Re: Huw Lioyd Langton Band
Flip Martian Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn:
Weren't Paper Toys called "Desire" for a brief while too?

I remember opening for them at the Preservation Hall in Edinburgh. Gosh, it must have been 1990, I think. Or thereabouts. I think I'd have been 17 back then. Yikes, that was a while back now.

Aren't Pete & Frank just the greatest guys, though?
Not sure about them being called Desire - they were definitely Eden's Rage in 1990 - I remember seeing them playing the Marquee when it was in Charing Cross Rd in London the same night Holland and (West) Germany were playing each other in the World Cup - we were watching the game on tvs in the foyer before seeing the band! biglaugh

Pete and Frank - they're still together; Pete has now retired though. Frank still runs Flag Promotions and puts gigs on (he did my old band's tour with Nash the Slash last November). Nice guy. smile

#10663 - Wed, 05 Aug 2009 21:30:00 Re: Huw Lioyd Langton Band
Glenn Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: Canada
Yeah, they're both awesome guys. I haven't talked to Frank in a while, but I talked to Pete on Friday. He's doing well & sounds great. One of my very favourite people in the world.

Paper Toys, I think were still called Paper Toys when my band supported them. Starting to feel old...............