Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#1057 - Fri, 22 May 2009 19:08:00 John Foxx/Da Silva/Karborn DJ/VJ set at the Static Gallery Liverpool last night
Brian Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: 6 "Miles away" from ...
I attended this last night more out of curiosity than anything.

This gig was done to coincide with the premiere of the new film Awaydays which was last night.

The traffic on the M6 was a nightmare. Took 2 hours to get from Knutsford services.
I started out from Tamworth @ 3.30pm arrived @ 7.15pm.

Spent 2 hours supping guiness, cappuccino & pints of orange juice.

Eventually we were allowed in at 9 to watch the support band - Sex Education. Very 'Vox influenced on some tracks.

They were Electro Rock/New wave & were excellent:-

Well worth a listen:-

http://www.myspace.com/sexeducationband

Family Foxx arrived around 10ish but Karborn had a few technical problems with his laptop so the start was delayed to after 10:30pm
(I did offer my IT services;)

Foxx,Da Silva & Karborn were all on stage in front of a Pioneer mixing Desk.John Foxx was doing the mixing using what looked like a Wii controller.

The set started with Gary Numan's AFE.Once of the other tracks I recognised was Joy Division.

The visuals were a mash up of Awaydays clips. See video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY8JFq8DH6k

Because the show was running late I had to leave at 11pm because of work the next morning & had to drive back to Tamworth so I only saw half the show.

Wish I could have stayed longer.

Was nice to meet Andy (Your Shadow) for the first time & also Mr Rob Harris again (who is still recovering from his Ultravox tour)

With hindsight I should have taken today off & driven up after work. Could have easily made it for 9pm despite the traffic.

Brian

#1058 - Fri, 22 May 2009 19:24:00 Re: John Foxx/Da Silva/Karborn DJ/VJ set at the Static Gallery Liverpool last night
Chappie Offline
Congratulations on your 1,000th post!

Loc: Nah, Luton Airport
Nice pics Brian!

BTW that thing John was holding onto is a Kaossilator - A little loop creation tool from Korg which is most jolly and well worth getting hold of.

Chappie

#1059 - Fri, 22 May 2009 19:47:00 Re: John Foxx/Da Silva/Karborn DJ/VJ set at the Static Gallery Liverpool last night
Rob Harris Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Ledbury, UK
In the next few days I'll have a proper look through all of the photos I took last night at The Static Gallery and try to post some more, but in the meantime here's one of my favourites...

Rob

#1060 - Fri, 22 May 2009 20:08:00 Re: John Foxx/Da Silva/Karborn DJ/VJ set at the Static Gallery Liverpool last night
Brian Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: 6 "Miles away" from ...
Quote:
Originally posted by Chappie:
Nice pics Brian!

BTW that thing John was holding onto is a Kaossilator - A little loop creation tool from Korg which is most jolly and well worth getting hold of.

Chappie
Cheers Chappie.

Yeah it was pointed out to me over in a thread @ Metamatic

http://www.metamatic.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000467;p=1#000009

Brian

#1061 - Sat, 23 May 2009 03:31:00 Re: John Foxx/Da Silva/Karborn DJ/VJ set at the Static Gallery Liverpool last night
Your Shadow Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Liverpool
As Brian mentioned I attended last night's event. It was good to meet Brian and also got a chance to say hi to Rob for the first time.

My girlfriend and I turned up pretty early and after a drink at the venue we headed to a local hostelry before returning in time for John and Karborns' set.As Brian said this started about 35 mins late due to technical problems.

Once it got going it was pretty interesting. Karborn treating edits from the Awaydays movie whilst John concentrated on the music.Tracks played included the following:

Gary Numan - Are Friends Electric
Cabaret Voltaire - Nag Nag Nag
Magazine - Shot By Both Sides
Joy Division - She's Lost Control
The Normal - Warm Leatherette
OMD - Electricity
Ladytron - Destroy Everything You Touch
Iggy Pop - Nightclubbing
Simple Minds - I Travel
There was also a version of John's From Trash which sounded quite different to the released version.

It made an interesting change to see John DJ but I would much rather see him play live anytime.

#1062 - Sat, 23 May 2009 04:47:00 Re: John Foxx/Da Silva/Karborn DJ/VJ set at the Static Gallery Liverpool last night
gazzashiatsu Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: LIVERPOOL 08
just found this new interview of john here in liverpool @ the static.
he also mentions plans to performing
'the quietman'
@ the tate gallery soon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYa0fv72nck

#1063 - Sat, 23 May 2009 13:01:00 Re: John Foxx/Da Silva/Karborn DJ/VJ set at the Static Gallery Liverpool last night
quietman Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I wish I was there. I think it would be really cool for John to come out with his own DJ cd like many other artists do these days.

#1064 - Tue, 23 Jun 2009 18:49:00 Re: John Foxx/Da Silva/Karborn DJ/VJ set at the Static Gallery Liverpool last night
Mark Offline

Loc: Coventry
I think (and I stress "think") Mr Leigh is holding a Korg Kaossilator. In simple terms is a synth without a keyboard it just has a touch pad similar to touch mouse pads you get on laptops.

It is not programmable (sounds) nor does it have midi but has 100 standard Korg pre-sets it also has a 4 or 8 beat sequencer so you can build up bass, lead, effects, percussion, beats etc. You can "bend" beats and tones to create new ones so it has infinate possibilities. It is quite simple a fantastic toy, err I mean instrument, but also the most anti-social one ever. My other half wont let me have one, she's not keen on repetitive 8 beats lops banging out for hours on end, can't think why.

>> Korg Kassilator Web Site <<

#1065 - Tue, 23 Jun 2009 18:51:00 Re: John Foxx/Da Silva/Karborn DJ/VJ set at the Static Gallery Liverpool last night
Mark Offline

Loc: Coventry
Quote:
Originally posted by Chappie:
Nice pics Brian!

Chappie
Oops, sorry I didn't scroll down enough to see you'd alreading pointed the Kassilator out.