Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Click here to order Midge Ure's new album Orchestrated now!

Topic Options
#10625 - Thu, 13 Aug 2009 18:15:00 My Favourite Ever Cymbal Crash*
1.Outside Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Birmingham
Occurs at 3:12 in The Voice.

My second favourite ever cymbal crash occurs at 3:18 in The Voice.

* I have no idea whether 'cymbal crash' is the correct term for this but it sounds right.

#10626 - Fri, 14 Aug 2009 15:51:00 Re: My Favourite Ever Cymbal Crash*
AlexO Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
interesting topic!
Being a drummer myself I would have perhaps started a topic like "my favourite cymbal sound" or "my favourite cymbal"

why did you chose those 2 cymbal strikes (I think that is a little more "correct" - perhaps Im wrong wink )?

#10627 - Sun, 16 Aug 2009 05:38:00 Re: My Favourite Ever Cymbal Crash*
1.Outside Offline

'Cymbal strike' doesn't quite seem to do justice to one of Warren's signature sounds but I'll defer to experience on that one.

It's hard to explain why I like them so much since I'm not a 'muso' and don't have the vocabulary. However, in layman's terms there's something almost orgasmic about them. IMO, The Voice is a tremendously tense song. It is one of those rare tracks that holds your attention by not always letting you have exactly what you want, if that makes sense. The first cymbal strike I mentioned provides a sense of release at a key moment in the instrumental passage, and the last one seems to wrap it up and finally lets you off the hook.

Maybe this makes no sense but that's kind of how it feels for me.

#10628 - Sun, 16 Aug 2009 07:39:00 Re: My Favourite Ever Cymbal Crash*
Oesterreicher II Offline

Loc: Buxham St. Deirdre
Sounds spot on to me!

ULTRAVOX at their peak had that wonderful paradox of being a band known for their technicality and use of synthesisers and yet being at the same time visceral and organic. Just watch Billy play some of his solos and there's no subtlety about the sexuality of the music. The rigid order of some of the throbbing rhythm lines only serves to accentuate the sensuousness of the melodies moving, pulsing and building around them.

I believe Billy once made a comment along the lines of "You could f*ck it" when referring to some of these solos, the way the music and sounds intertwine, twist, catch their breath, tease and screamingly climax within them, and I heartily agree. It seems that it's no accident that his keyboards are all set up at groin height.

As for the cymbals, perhaps "Explosive splash" would be a good term? I shall stop there, children may be reading this.

#10629 - Mon, 17 Aug 2009 04:53:00 Re: My Favourite Ever Cymbal Crash*
Bjrn Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: Gislaved, Sweden
As Hi-hat is a kind of cymbal, I have to mention the "double hi-hat-lift" in the middle of the solo of "When the scream subsides". Hard to explain, because english isnt my first language. Hope you understand what I mean.

Anyway, its brilliant!

//Bjrn

#10630 - Sat, 19 Sep 2009 04:59:00 Re: My Favourite Ever Cymbal Crash*
stuck in the 80's Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: stafford
you know...when I first read this, I though 'strange questio'....BUT...the more i thin k about it, the more i like the question. Warren cann was my boyhood hero.

I was never allowed a drum kit 'cos tey were too noisy. I'm nearly 42 now, and recently bought a drum kit... or 'my new fad' as my wife calls it. i'm having loads of lessons, and my drum titor is writting out the Ultarvox drum tabs for me. I'm learning "astradyne' at the moment.

Playing the drums really makes me appreciate the sounds more...and the cymbals are actually my favourite part of the playing. The 'fat' snare warren gets is great, but the cymbal playing is so important to the overall balance,

I don't think i have a specific cymbal favourite, but Iove the drum playing in 'I remember'. I love the live version of 'astradyne".

next week, we're staring on 'mine for life'...what a great sound the hi-hat has in that song...it's in the lead so far for drummers metalwork!!

#10631 - Sat, 19 Sep 2009 05:00:00 Re: My Favourite Ever Cymbal Crash*
stuck in the 80's Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: stafford
i should really learn to proof read things before I press the 'send' button...please accept my apologies for all my spelling errors....I'm not that bad really!

#10632 - Sat, 19 Sep 2009 21:55:00 Re: My Favourite Ever Cymbal Crash*
1.Outside Offline

Yes, it does sound odd as a question but I wasn't actually asking a question. I was just letting people in on my own personal favourite ever cymbal crash. The question really, however, is why would anyone want to know that!

#10633 - Mon, 05 Oct 2009 02:56:00 Re: My Favourite Ever Cymbal Crash*
Duncan Offline

Loc: Co. Monaghan, Ireland
My fave cymble sound in an Ultravox song must be the "CHINA BOY" that introduces WHITE CHINA(live)

#10634 - Mon, 10 May 2010 05:17:00 Re: My Favourite Ever Cymbal Crash*
Fredrik R Offline
Pass level: VIP

Loc: Ume, Sweden
This is amazing!
I saw this and felt i need to register and make a reply.
I been a fan since Vienna, and have had almost the same reasoning as you except from that my favourite ever cymbal crash is the the one at about 0:53. I know exactly which one you mean, but still I hold this one for the best.
Happy to see someone else thinking in the same way.