Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#101150 - Thu, 05 Sep 2019 18:30:14 Ultravox Videos
zico Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: Sussex
Was watching a few of the old Ultravox and Midge Ure videos last night and all these years later came to a couple of conclusions apart from the fact that they are obviously brilliant!!

Firstly they haven't half aged well a lot of them compared with other bands at the time, as has the music. I put this down to the fact that many of them are almost period/history pieces such as Vienna, RTWW, The Voice and The Thin Wall and the "dead man's clothes" have aged well compared with other flamboyant 80's videos with large shoulder pads and mullets!

The other thing I noticed was how some might not stand up to today's politically correct society as many other videos and TV programmes of that time don't and wonder if they would appear on Top of The Pops if it was going today. Health and Safety certainly wouldn't have been too pleased with the volunteer running of a cliff in a hand glider in LGA I am sure!! Was interesting though to see how times have changed but as I said earlier in many ways a large chunk of it holds up very well.

Interesting point in the Vienna video to look out for that made me laugh as it's the first time I have noticed it was when the entire room joins in with the lyric "fades to the distance" the leading lady looks around a fraction before everyone else and there is a hint of "oops" in her face!!!

Edited by zico (Thu, 05 Sep 2019 23:09:16)

#101151 - Fri, 06 Sep 2019 15:39:13 Re: Ultravox Videos [Re: zico]
Alone With Strangers Online   sick
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: a different planet
I think you're referring to the point that they sing "the cool empty silence". "Fades to the distance" only features the band.

But I hadn't noticed it before either: quite funny!

#101158 - Mon, 14 Oct 2019 15:28:52 Re: Ultravox Videos [Re: Alone With Strangers]
zico Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: Sussex
Originally Posted By Alone With Strangers
I think you're referring to the point that they sing "the cool empty silence". "Fades to the distance" only features the band.

I indeed stand corrected!!

#101172 - Fri, 25 Oct 2019 12:20:51 Re: Ultravox Videos [Re: zico]
Adi Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Southampton - UK
Having read this post about the Vienna video, I stumbled across an old copy of the Extreme Voice - EV20, in the Media Archives of this site.
There is a section in there where the band were questioned about what they could remember about the filming of the Vienna video.
Here's what Warren had to say about it.
"FILMING THE PARTY...
WARREN: It may come as a surprise to know that
approximately half of it was shot on locations in central
London, mainly at Covent Garden and also in the old
Kilburn Gaumont Theatre in North London (sadly, now
a Bingo hall). The ‘Embassy’ party scene was in some
house we’d rented in town – can’t remember where
but I do remember that it took the crew a long time to
set up the lights to prepare for filming... so long that
we all got impatient with waiting and dipped into the
many cases of wine we’d laid on for a drinkie
afterwards. By the time we actually started to film, we
were all rat-arsed. You know the bit where we're all
supposed to turn around at the same time, we just
could NOT do that in sync. Now you know why! In
between each take we were all at the booze again!
There was a lot of wine and not that many of us, so
you work it out... I had a lovely time".

Hopefully that solves the reason why some of the people couldn't turn in sinc with everybody else!