Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#100969 - Sun, 18 Feb 2018 19:50:10 Thin, Tinny Sounding CDs.
Gwilym Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: Wales.
Have any record collectors on here ever noticed that once in a while they'll purchase a CD which has a "trebley" character to the sound, whereas most other copies of the same album have the 'normal' balance?

Some years ago I had a letter published in Record Collector regarding this phenomenon and I recently discussed the issue on "The Alternate ZTT Board" when my 2CD remastered copy of AON's "In Visible Silence" had the same issue. On that occasion I bought a second copy to conduct an A/B test and the newer one was indeed perfectly balanced. This issue keeps cropping-up every so often but no-one seems able to explain why it happens, nor why you never come across discs that are bass-biased, only 'trebley' ones.

Maybe it's just one particular pressing plant that's making them due to incorrect settings on their equipment? Whatever the cause, it's definitely occurring and I promise you that I'm not imagining it! I'm very much hoping that someone else on here has encountered this too and can verify what I'm saying, and thereby proving that I'm not delusional!

Edited by Gwilym (Mon, 19 Feb 2018 18:19:23)

#100973 - Tue, 06 Mar 2018 09:39:02 Re: Thin, Tinny Sounding CDs. [Re: Gwilym]
Alone With Strangers Online   content

Loc: a different planet
I've not experienced it at all apart from some 'remastered' CDs just sound crap in comparison to the original masters.

Interesting though. Are you sure it isn't your kit doing it i.e. have you tried playing the discs on another CD/DVD/BR player? Whilst it shouldn't make a difference, many commercially pressed CDs have some code right at the very beginning of the disc that may interfere with your player. For example, the code on some CDs have copy protection coding within those few bits at the beginning.

Also, do both the versions of the AON disc share the same matrix numbers (the alphanumeric code on the underside of the disc near the centre - e.g. 902958373-9/1 V01 MVD)? If not, then it sounds like it may be a naff batch that they corrected with another version. If they are the same then it may just be a faulty disc: it doesn't mean there is anything systemically wrong with the manufacturer's equipment or process since it could just be a fluke.

EDIT: I've just looked at the Discogs entry and there are, indeed two different pressings of this disc. I suspect you have one of each and there is a faulty batch somewhere.

Edited by Alone With Strangers (Tue, 06 Mar 2018 09:41:54)

#100974 - Tue, 06 Mar 2018 21:22:03 Re: Thin, Tinny Sounding CDs. [Re: Alone With Strangers]
Gwilym Offline

No, it definitely isn't the player because I've tried such discs on other systems and the high-bias is still there on playback. Also there doesn't seem to be any discernible pattern to them occurring, they just randomly crop up every so often; different artists, different albums, different years even.

I hope someone else experiences this soon because I'm starting to feel like that guy from Invasion of the Body Snatchers - "You gotta believe me!!!" banghead

#101000 - Sat, 16 Jun 2018 21:31:50 Re: Thin, Tinny Sounding CDs. [Re: Gwilym]
Gwilym Offline

Just an update to say that these types of CDs are still occasionally cropping up.

I bought cheap copies of Erasure's "Total Pop!" compilation and also Dylan's "Bringing it All Back Home" at a 'four for a 1' charity shop sale to compare them with my own copies I'd purchased years ago. It's lucky I did as both my existing ones were 'trebley' which I hadn't noticed at the time as I had no other copies for comparison.

So it definitely is a feature of some CDs but I have no idea why they are occasionally produced sounding this way (and I never come across low-end biased ones, only high-end for some reason).

In 2012 I bought the remastered 3-disc edition of the "Star TreK: The Motion Picture" soundtrack released by La-La-Land which was a limited edition run. I was never happy with it as to my ears it sounded inferior to the 1999 pressing. I checked out the company's forum and everyone on there was praising the fantastic improvement in sound, which baffled me. So when a copy came up for auction on ebay a couple of weeks ago I bought it and made a comparison: the new copy was much better with a deeper, richer and more realistic playback. In other words, it sounded 'normal'.

This phenomenon definitely exists.