Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Click here to order Midge Ure's new album Orchestrated now!

Topic Options
#100949 - Sun, 10 Dec 2017 22:23:21 Ultravox songs on Orchestrated
negative1 Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: US
seems like mixed reviews on their social network pages,
which is about right.

some are very slowed down in tempo, others are spot on..

all of them are on youtube.

vienna is great:

8 of the songs are from ultravox
-----------------------------------
hymn - very slow tempo, ok
dancing with tears in my eyes - very minimal, slow tempo
man of two worlds - excellent version, with the duo, just about the right tempo
vienna - excellent version, just right, although it has non orchestral sounds
the voice - well done, good approximation of the sounds, excellent vocals, very intense
death in the afternoon - slowed down tempo, very dramatic, picks up at chorus, good
lament - excellent all around, great sound and slightly slowed down tempo, some non orchestral sounds
reap the wild wind - excellent sound and tempo

so, after what appears to be a very slow start from the first few tracks
i wasn't to excited about the prospects of it.

then several good songs came up, with very good versions.

overall, as far as it goes, if you're in the mood for some alternate
versions, you will like it. midge's voice is great, and he can still
some of the notes like in the past. and its good to finally hear some
lesser played songs (at least to me), from their past.

i enjoyed it, but its not for everyone, if you liked the originals
only, stick with those.

later

#100950 - Tue, 12 Dec 2017 21:41:52 Re: Ultravox songs on Orchestrated [Re: negative1]
Alone With Strangers Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: a different planet
Some are better than other is what it boils down to.

Some are not as bad as the Visage orchestral album but a few do get close to James Last territory.

However my only real beef with the album is the mastering which is, once again, overly loud - especially on Hymn & DWTIME. It's even been mastered by a company called Loud Mastering which ain't a good sign.

Hopefully the vinyl release will be more gentle on the ears.

#100951 - Sun, 17 Dec 2017 21:35:05 Re: Ultravox songs on Orchestrated [Re: Alone With Strangers]
Tom27 Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Germany
To be honest, I would have expected better feedback here. In my opinion the only thing which really lacks on all tracks is the addition of Billy Currie - especially when it comes to Vienna. This is the one track where I do not understand why the string solo had to be played with an electric guitar? It sounds so off context to me.

As for the rest, I adore the tracks, they are very well done and for sure, some benefit from slowed-down tempo and the associated orchestration.

What really deserves a negative mention is how preorders had been handled. I wanted to support the artists by buying the CD and preordering, however it started with the fact that download preorders had early access to the singles, while we did not not receive anything. Then the CD was sent out on the night before the release which - of course - was way too late for overseas delivery. Given that the website said "delivery on release date" and the reply I got was "we were told not to ship early because of possible leaks" was pretty weird. And the fact that each and every single was officially uploaded to YouTube after the album release sadly gives the wrong sign to paying audiences ...strange decision.

#100952 - Tue, 19 Dec 2017 17:11:56 Re: Ultravox songs on Orchestrated [Re: Tom27]
Flip Martian Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Here
My wife has had it on repeat in her car since getting the preorder. I've not been fussed to hear it yet, to be honest. Probably a reaction to seeing his Band Electronica thing rip off ultravox last month...

#100953 - Tue, 19 Dec 2017 18:41:23 Re: Ultravox songs on Orchestrated [Re: Flip Martian]
negative1 Offline

i'm very impressed with how well midge's voice has held up.

the cadence, tempo, and pitch of his voice through the years
is amazing compared to the originals in those songs.

i just wish his current material was more uptempo, and
also that he would do more in the vein of 'the gift' with
the songwriting talent that he has.

all this acoustic, and folksy stuff is just not special
to me, or even worth repeated listens.

later

#100985 - Tue, 27 Mar 2018 18:48:14 Re: Ultravox songs on Orchestrated [Re: negative1]
negative1 Offline

details about limited signed clear 2xlp version here:
http://www.Ultravox.org.uk/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/100984/Re:_Orchestrated#Post100984

later

#100991 - Tue, 03 Apr 2018 12:24:42 Re: Ultravox songs on Orchestrated [Re: Flip Martian]
Tom27 Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By Flip Martian
Probably a reaction to seeing his Band Electronica thing rip off ultravox last month...

Honestly, I have no intention in seeing a Band Electronica gig. They are trying to play those Ultravox songs but they simply donīt get it.
"Orchetrated" on the other hand is at least another approach which I think was very well carried out - although Billy, Chris and Warren are greatly missed.