Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#100946 - Sun, 03 Dec 2017 07:48:44 Orchestrated
Dmitry Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Moscow, Russia
A great music effort overall. Some tracks are really tear squeezing, like Dancing with.. Amazon comments are filled with "goosebumps" comments. Still, for me, string orchestra does not seem a necessary addition to Midge type songs. You would change strings to synths, slow music tempos a little bit further - and you get a perfect trip hop album ( or lounge, if you prefer this term). In some tracks (The voice, Love's great adventure) strings and main tune go in parallel, do not cross at all.
All in all, we heard much better attempts to mix electro with strings. Still, a nice add to Midge's discography.

#100947 - Sun, 03 Dec 2017 14:26:12 Re: Orchestrated [Re: Dmitry]
davox Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: Germany
I think this album is a very good addition to all the existing albums we have. A new interpretation of old songs, and not just old songs with the addition of strings. For me it's an exciting experience to hear them with their new arrangements. And it's a fascinating fact that Ty Unwin is a huge Urevox fan. Not a bad aspect to produce these songs in a new outfit.

#100948 - Sun, 10 Dec 2017 11:54:11 Re: Orchestrated [Re: davox]
Alone With Strangers Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: a different planet
I would tend to agree but the mastering is not brilliant & there are a couple of tracks in particular that are brickwalled (Hymn & DWTIME). It would be good to hear a sensitive master of the album wither as a download or vinyl release.

#100967 - Sun, 11 Feb 2018 19:32:42 Re: Orchestrated [Re: Dmitry]
stufarq Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Here
Finally had a chance to sit down and listen to this, and sad to say, I find it a big disappointment. Everything works perfectly well, but for the most part, the songs sound much like the originals, just with synths replaced by strings, and the piano replaced by... well, actually by identical piano lines. Vienna even has the same electronic drums, and the middle eight of Lament has the marimba-synth replaced by, surprise, an actual marimba. It all seems rather pointless. Drums, guitars and electronics should have been banned altogether, and anything that sounded like the original version should have been done differently.

It's a perfectly acceptable listen, but if you're going to do an orchestral album of old songs, use the orchestra creatively to make them sound different.

Sorry to be negative, but I don't think this adds anything to the songs.

#100968 - Sun, 18 Feb 2018 15:21:30 Re: Orchestrated [Re: stufarq]
Ole_DK Offline
Pass level: VIP

Loc: Denmark
Well, we canít discuss taste - thatís completely individual. But I have to say I really donít understand when you say it too simular to the originals - for me itís completely re-arranged in a very interessting way. Again, taste we cant discuss - just surprised you donít hear the re-arrangements. For me it was a very positive surprise. To be honest, I was getting a little tired of all this acustic and feared what an orchestra would do to ď the holy grailĒ - bit I liked it, really! Fragile makes my eyes in tears, so strong lyrics and the orchestra just add something - ďYou might as well have asked me not to breath...Ē such strong lyric

#100983 - Mon, 26 Mar 2018 12:41:03 Re: Orchestrated [Re: Ole_DK]
Tom27 Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Germany
Orchestrated is a fantastic album and personally I love the fact that electronics are merged with synthesized sounds (a bit like what BT did on "Electronic Opus").

The only thing missing is Billy. He should have been in charge of the string arrangements. Of course, not sure if he was asked and did not want to be part of anything Ultravox anymore, but having his part replaced particularly on Vienna with an electric guitar is very odd.

Cheers
Thomas

#100984 - Tue, 27 Mar 2018 18:46:29 Re: Orchestrated [Re: Tom27]
negative1 Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: US
2LP clear vinyl version, signed available from midge's site:
------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/m...ng/#more-139040

Midge UreĎs Orchestrated album features Ďreimaginedí orchestrated versions of Ultravox hits and solo classics. It was issued on CD late last year to a warm reception and is now available on vinyl for the first time, initially exclusively through the official Midge Ure shop as a limited SIGNED clear vinyl pressing!

Itís not clear at this stage whether the vinyl will feature a download code or not, but a signed double vinyl + standard CD bundle is available for a fairly reasonable £30.

The release date for this signed clear vinyl pressing is 8 June 2018. It is exclusive to the Official Midge Ure Shop.

later