Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Order Midge Ure's new album 'Fragile' here now!

Topic Options
#100829 - Sun, 09 Apr 2017 00:15:23 Question to the audience
Vladimir Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: Russia, Moscow suburb, the cit...
Hi all! I realise that I'm probably a bit too late with this as the Forum is if not dead then a very quiet place for quite some time now - but I still would like to ask anyone who's willing to answer this.

I've been writing a paper on Ultravox's album "Vienna" a couple of months ago and it made me think - what was it that made people (you especially) notice the band? What made Ultravox stand out for you among other bands of the period? Why them as a favourite band?

I know that there are very few people now who have seen the band during the early 1980s (or even late 1970s) - so any answer from such a person is an especially valueable one.

Really looking forward to any thought on this - and thanks in advance to anyone who's going to answer.

#100831 - Sun, 09 Apr 2017 21:28:49 Re: Question to the audience [Re: Vladimir]
Rodney Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Dunedin, New Zealand
The first time I really 'heard' Ultravox was in December 1981 (just after the school holidays had commenced) and it was a friend's cassette recording of the recently released (in New Zealand) Rage In Eden album. I was just discovering music at that time and the sounds from this album just 'clicked' with my personality, I suppose. It was an intriguing mix of quasi-classical music with modern, electronic pop/rock instrumentation combined with powerfully emotive vocals and lyrics. It was sometime later that I do recall the Vienna video being on TV earlier that year.

After obtaining my own copy and playing it over-and-over repetitively, I remember being mesmerized by Warren Cann's 'electronic percussion' at the end of Accent On Youth, where, to me, it sounded like horse hooves on a road!

Anyway, since then, I've been a devoted fan and, to me, they continued to maintain a musical distinction, levels above any of their peers of the period and this was also enhanced by the imagery created by the graphic design artwork, especially that of Peter Saville.

Cheers, Vladimir.

#100832 - Tue, 11 Apr 2017 14:20:40 Re: Question to the audience [Re: Rodney]
Björn Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: Gislaved, Sweden

I´m mainly an "Urevox" fan, but have later discovered a lot of good songs on the "pre-ure" albums, especially the debut album and "Systems of romance".

The first time I heard Ultravox, was on a Cassette (trendy...)that my older brother gave me in 1982. It was "Rage in eden" and I only liked "The voice"(now I think that RIE is almost ther best album). Two years later, two mates had a discussions about which album they prefered: Quartet or Lament. Then "The collection" was released and I gave it a go....and I was a instant fan. I collected every 12 inch single and album. Too my sad surprise, Ultravox had recently played in my country, so I had to wait for the "U-vox" tour in 1986. Luckily I saw them twice at their reunion tours. Kind regards!//Björn

Well, that´s my little story.

Regards
Björn

#100833 - Wed, 12 Apr 2017 09:03:11 Re: Question to the audience [Re: Vladimir]
AndyM Offline
Pass level: VIP

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By Vladimir

I know that there are very few people now who have seen the band during the early 1980s (or even late 1970s) - so any answer from such a person is an especially valueable one.

Hi,

Are you suggesting we're all getting a little old ?? smile smile

I remember vividly, I heard All Stood Still being played one day when I was at a snooker club, I was in my early teens. I just thought "hey, that's different and exciting, I like that"

and that was it smile followed them ever since

#100835 - Wed, 12 Apr 2017 13:46:42 Re: Question to the audience [Re: Vladimir]
Gwilym Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: Wales.
In 1989 I borrowed my older cousin's copy of "The Collection" LP. All I'd really heard by Ultravox before then was the Vienna single on the radio/ TV when I was a kid, so it was a revelation to hear all these other great songs they'd released too. I started collecting their albums and singles from that point on.

#100837 - Sat, 22 Apr 2017 17:44:21 Re: Question to the audience [Re: Vladimir]
Flip Martian Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Here
For me...In 1979 I was into Gary Numan and at that time he namechecked Ultravox and especially Systems of Romance as a big influence and a favourite of his. So I bought it, loved it, then bought the previous 2 albums. I enjoyed all 3. Then the new Ultravox brought out Sleepwalk and I absolutely LOVED that (and still do). So that was that - favourite band status since. smile

#100839 - Thu, 27 Apr 2017 21:45:52 Re: Question to the audience [Re: Vladimir]
davox Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Germany
My brother came in February 1981 with an album from a band I've never heard before. A black and white cover, four men on it, and a very modern font says: "Ultravox" and "Vienna". This was the start of loving the band and the music, and nothing has changed to this day. It was, it is and it will be my favourite band. And one of the great songs will be played on my funeral for sure