Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Order Midge Ure's new album 'Fragile' here now!

Topic Options
#100785 - Mon, 13 Feb 2017 17:01:48 Potential Singles Gone Begging.
Gwilym Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: Wales.
Now and again I come across album tracks, B-sides, etc. that I think could have made great singles if given the chance, such as the Talk Talk B-side "Again a Game...Again" or The Human League's "Things That Dreams Are Made Of". I often regard "White China" from the Lament album as being in this category and there are plenty of examples out there by other artists.

The track "Panopticon" by White Town is a driving synthpop gem and yet it only appears on the 2003 Robopop CD compilation, nowhere else (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6jLhZO9CBg). And surely the Pet Shop Boys' "In the Night" was a potential top 10 hit? In the liner notes to the PSB compilation Alternative, Chris Lowe relates how the cutting engineer was convinced it was the A-side and when they explained that it wasn't he thought they must be mad.

The third movement of Jarre's Magnetic Fields 1 had potential too, more so I think than "Part 4" which was the one actually released (after the earlier "Part 2" had been a hit). It's the section that begins with the sound of a jet plane flying past and is quite a catchy, driving tune. It did eventually get a 7" release in the Netherlands but only as a b-side:- (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXWQIRL7sGo)

I'd be interested to hear about any other such songs that are worth seeking out.

Edited by Gwilym (Tue, 14 Feb 2017 09:37:41)

#100786 - Mon, 13 Feb 2017 20:49:09 Re: Potential Singles Gone Begging. [Re: Gwilym]
david L. Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: oxfordshire
Wasnt "white China" considered for release at some point ? Which is why an extended mix exists

#100787 - Tue, 14 Feb 2017 08:50:07 Re: Potential Singles Gone Begging. [Re: david L.]
Gwilym Offline

Now you mention it, I think it was. Didn't they pull it in favour of Lament?

#100790 - Wed, 15 Feb 2017 11:10:53 Re: Potential Singles Gone Begging. [Re: Gwilym]
david L. Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: oxfordshire
Originally Posted By Gwilym
Now you mention it, I think it was. Didn't they pull it in favour of Lament?

Brief mention in this thread
http://www.ultravox.org.uk/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/63876/1

Edited by david L. (Wed, 15 Feb 2017 11:12:00)

#100811 - Sun, 19 Mar 2017 11:53:08 Re: Potential Singles Gone Begging. [Re: Gwilym]
Vladimir Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: Russia, Moscow suburb, the cit...
I think "Do or Die" by the League would've been a great single - they even performed it live on TV. And Talk Talk's "Another Word" (it was a hit in Germany in 1984). Likewise, "The Gap" by Thompson Twins should've been a proper single (instead of US/German one). Yazoo could've released another single off their second album - "Happy People", maybe laugh

And yes, it was a big mistake by the guys to release "Lament" instead of "White China" - now that could at least rival the success of "Dancing" and maybe change the course of the band (or maybe not).

I also think that Ultravox (or their record company) were somewhat lazy and didn't exploit the obvious success patters - like re-releasing less-successful singles. For example, "Passing Strangers" would have surely been a hit had it been repromoted in Spring 1981. Or when there were no further singles from "rage in Eden" - with the band losing most of 1982 in terms of chart action. Or when there was nothing in 1985 - when they could've released "White China" or anything to capitalise on success of "The Collection"...

#100812 - Sun, 19 Mar 2017 19:42:11 Re: Potential Singles Gone Begging. [Re: Vladimir]
Gwilym Offline

Re-releasing Passing Strangers could well have been a good idea after the success of the "Vienna" single. According to the Guinness Book of Hit Singles it only got to no.57 back in 1980 but surely would have done much better the following year.

I agree that Talk Talk's "Another Word" had chart potential, and I think "Pictures of Bernadette" would have done well too. Unbelievably it wasn't even an album track, just a B-side. Regarding Yazoo, how about the fantastic "Situation"? It got a North American release so why not in the UK?

#100816 - Mon, 20 Mar 2017 17:35:31 Re: Potential Singles Gone Begging. [Re: Gwilym]
Vladimir Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: Russia, Moscow suburb, the cit...
Didn't remember "Pictures of bernadette" but having just listened to it I agree, "Colour of Spring" would've benefitted from its inclusion, it's a very good song - just like "Again a Game, Again" which just sreams to be on "It's My Life" LP. It's a really 1980s thing - to stick fantastic tracks on singles' B-sides (Ultravox actually come to mind :)).

"Situation" is a natural hit single, you're spot-on! Would've been a great one to replace the dreadful "Other Side of Love" If only they took some time and didn't rush with releases...

That's another thing that puzzles me about the early 1980s - impatience of artists, some of which seemingly rushed for their next release, not using all available opportunities. There was something in the air, maybe?

Oh yes, I also remembered that Heaven 17 didn't re-release "Let Me go" after their success in 1983 - now just why? A natural Top 10 hit! Especially given thу pause for almost a year until their third album!. Human League also missed most of 1983, Blancmange had too long a pause in 1984-1985... Lots of missed opportunities!

#100817 - Mon, 20 Mar 2017 19:25:02 Re: Potential Singles Gone Begging. [Re: david L.]
KT Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Arlington, Massachusetts
Originally Posted By david L.
Wasnt "white China" considered for release at some point ? Which is why an extended mix exists

White China was the only song they played on the radio here. It was in the rotation for a week when the album was first released, then it disappeared. They never played anything else.

#100830 - Sun, 09 Apr 2017 11:51:07 Re: Potential Singles Gone Begging. [Re: Gwilym]
Gwilym Offline

Another fantastic song that would've done well in the early 80s is "Men in White Coats" by Oppenheimer Analysis:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ2oAts1u74