Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Order Midge Ure's new album 'Fragile' here now!

Topic Options
#100792 - Wed, 15 Feb 2017 20:10:55 Love's Great Adventure, track 9 of "Lament"?
bixieface Offline
Pass level: VIP

Always wondered why "Lament" was so short and only 8 tracks (when every other UV album of that era had 9) - was LGA meant for "Lament" and taken off as they knew a greatest hits was imminent or was it only created for the latter?

Lyrically it may have been too upbeat for the album but always felt it was as track shy (still 2nd best UV album in my book)

#100793 - Thu, 16 Feb 2017 11:22:51 Re: Love's Great Adventure, track 9 of "Lament"? [Re: bixieface]
david L. Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: oxfordshire
Have a read of -
http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/love-s-great-adventure/1471

appears to be a totally separate project

#100794 - Sun, 19 Feb 2017 12:42:27 Re: Love's Great Adventure, track 9 of "Lament"? [Re: bixieface]
stufarq Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Here
If I remember correctly, it started life as a rejected idea for a second Levis advert.

#100795 - Sun, 19 Feb 2017 13:15:17 Re: Love's Great Adventure, track 9 of "Lament"? [Re: stufarq]
david L. Offline

Originally Posted By stufarq
If I remember correctly, it started life as a rejected idea for a second Levis advert.

you do remember correctly smile

Edited by david L. (Sun, 19 Feb 2017 13:15:35)

#100806 - Fri, 17 Mar 2017 14:18:09 Re: Love's Great Adventure, track 9 of "Lament"? [Re: david L.]
zico Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: Sussex
I suspect that only releasing LGA as a single and then including it on the Collection compilation album did wonders for sales of that album as well.

Can remember the first reunion concert a few years ago and I was quite disappointed that they didn't play LGA although they did include it in the concerts the following year. Was quite surprised it was left off the list but remember hearing something about the band not liking the track. Not sure if that's true or not.

Edited by zico (Fri, 17 Mar 2017 14:19:10)

#100810 - Sun, 19 Mar 2017 11:45:50 Re: Love's Great Adventure, track 9 of "Lament"? [Re: zico]
stufarq Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Here
Originally Posted By zico
I suspect that only releasing LGA as a single and then including it on the Collection compilation album did wonders for sales of that album as well.

Record companies like to have an extra track or two on greatest hits albums for that very reason.

Can remember the first reunion concert a few years ago and I was quite disappointed that they didn't play LGA although they did include it in the concerts the following year. Was quite surprised it was left off the list but remember hearing something about the band not liking the track. Not sure if that's true or not.

They wouldn't have played it if they didn't like it. Their criterion for choosing the songs tom play was whether they actually wanted to play them or not. They each rated all their songs according to whether they strongly wanted to play them, didn't mind playing them, would play them if forced, or really didn't want to. Any songs in the last category weren't played. Midge often plays LGA in his solo shows, and I seem to remember him playing it during Something from Everything, so he definitely likes it.

Edited by stufarq (Sun, 19 Mar 2017 11:46:52)

#100813 - Mon, 20 Mar 2017 09:25:32 Re: Love's Great Adventure, track 9 of "Lament"? [Re: zico]
Rodney Offline

Loc: Dunedin, New Zealand

I seem to recall reading comments from Midge sometime, somewhere, that when Chrysalis suggested the release of a 'greatest hits' album, that the band decided to record a new track (i.e. Love's Great Adventure) as a single for the compilation album. I think Midge may also have suggested that this was the start of the trend for bands releasing a new single in support of 'best of' albums. An example of more Ultravox innovation, perhaps?

#100814 - Mon, 20 Mar 2017 17:11:20 Re: Love's Great Adventure, track 9 of "Lament"? [Re: Rodney]
Vladimir Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: Russia, Moscow suburb, the cit...
Is it actually correct? I remember "Under Pressure" being added to Queen's first "Greatest Hits" as the most recent hit - and that was in 1981. There are probably some more examples of that. Because it's a really big claim, I think, and if it's correct then wow! smile

#100815 - Mon, 20 Mar 2017 17:22:24 Re: Love's Great Adventure, track 9 of "Lament"? [Re: bixieface]
Vladimir Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: Russia, Moscow suburb, the cit...
Actually 8 tracks per album is not an unusual thing for the 1980s and such records weren't considered short - just albums with longer songs.

As for LGA being a part of Lament - well, for a start it's so different in mood and execution that there's no question about it. It originated as a second advert for Levi's jeans called "Threads" but was rejected by the company. Some time later it was used to promote "The Collection".

I'm also not sure it had such a crucial role in the compilation's success - after all, Ultravox were already very established band respected by the public and their official singles compilation would've had the same success even without a new song. Moreover, it may be because of the compilation's success that the single didn't quite hit as big as was hoped for.

#100819 - Thu, 23 Mar 2017 19:52:17 Re: Love's Great Adventure, track 9 of "Lament"? [Re: Rodney]
david L. Offline

Originally Posted By Rodney

I seem to recall reading comments from Midge sometime, somewhere, that when Chrysalis suggested the release of a 'greatest hits' album, that the band decided to record a new track (i.e. Love's Great Adventure) as a single for the compilation album. I think Midge may also have suggested that this was the start of the trend for bands releasing a new single in support of 'best of' albums. An example of more Ultravox innovation, perhaps?

Midge does say in his autobiography that LGA was among the first previously unreleased tracks to be included on a "best of" - but I remember a similar thread where someone came up with Abba doing it by including "Fernando" on their first best of in the mid 70s

Edited by david L. (Thu, 23 Mar 2017 19:53:15)