Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Click here to order Midge Ure's new album Orchestrated now!

Topic Options
#100675 - Fri, 02 Sep 2016 11:44:52 FoxxVox Coloured Vinyl Reissues
Alone With Strangers Online   content
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: a different planet
My copies have arrived today and - although I haven't unsealed them yet, I must confess to feeling a little disappointed. The covers for 'Systems' & 'Ha Ha Ha' feel a little flimsy - 'Ultravox!' only feels stronger because it's a gatefold.

Moreover, the print quality doesn't look that good to me though I can no longer compare to my original versions.

'Ultravox!' looks very grainy with some of the type being somewhat blurred - as if a scan of an original pressing was used as the basis with some over-exuberant noise reduction applied. 'Ha Ha Ha' looks OK because it is basically block printing. However, 'Systems' is odd in that there is a square of a different shade of black (you know what I mean) in the top right of the back cover. I can't remember that being there on the original pressing. Again the photos are grainy but the type is clear & legible.

I won't get a chance to play them for a couple of weeks but hopefully someone else can report back on the disc quality.

AWS

#100677 - Fri, 02 Sep 2016 15:57:48 Re: FoxxVox Coloured Vinyl Reissues [Re: Alone With Strangers]
nuwebb Offline
Pass level: VIP

Loc: buckinghamshire ,uk
Have to agree with AWS, the systems disc is very flimsy, no way its heavy vinyl, may be 120GM....no way its 180GM......and it bends quite well....eeeeekkk

Edited by nuwebb (Fri, 02 Sep 2016 16:04:54)

#100682 - Mon, 05 Sep 2016 18:25:13 Re: FoxxVox Coloured Vinyl Reissues [Re: nuwebb]
Alone With Strangers Online   content
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: a different planet
Ooh cue the cracked grooves.....

#100688 - Mon, 19 Sep 2016 18:49:37 Re: FoxxVox Coloured Vinyl Reissues [Re: Alone With Strangers]
Nisei Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: the Dutch Mountains
The covers date back to the pre-digital graphics age. In those days we used black and white films (lithos), 1 for each ink colour, to make printing plates to put on the press.
Digitising these separate films and putting them back together to make up a digital full colour file is way too time consuming and therefore expensive.
So what they're doing is they take the album sleeve and scan that and use it to recreate the cover. Lettering, borders etc. are usually redone.
Sometimes this is done very good but I often see it could have been done much better. For CD the image size is way smaller so you sometimes don't even notice (although Vienna is a good example where you can clearly see it's not as good as the original) but when that same 12" vinyl sleeve has to be printed again you can clearly see it's not as good as the original album sleeve.

Edited by Nisei (Mon, 19 Sep 2016 20:29:25)