Quote:
Originally posted by Solenoid:
Interesting comments on this (no disrepect intended).

My own humble view is that "Live" albums rarely represent the atmosphere of the real show (unless you live in a cinema with a giant PA rig!) - as such, most live albums have always been neatly tucked away at the back of my collection after I have heard them once or twice. Live DVD's though, contain the other dimension (visual) needed to give them a certain credibility, as such I've ordered this (Roundhouse DVD+) set, and am looking forward to seeing it!

Oil on Canvas was so "clean" that at times it sounded like a remix of the album tracks. It lacked a certain bite. Not that I didn't enjoy the tour, I really did, but just that it didn't have the overwhelming power of a "rock" gig. I'd love to see a full DVD of those concerts again, the bits I find on YouTube are a bit flat - but illustrate my feelings quite well (is it live or is it Memorex?). BTW - Mick Karn sliding all over the place was one of the highlights of that tour for me - I picked up many injuries in those days trying to emulate that at school! It impressed the first year kids though!
Actually I don't really disagree with much of what you've said. I truly believe that the live version of The Voice more than captures the live dynamism of the band at the time. Not so convinced by the other tracks and I also agree that it's rare that Live albums as a whole work.

Live DVD's are a superb add to the genre, far superior in every respect to their VHS equivalents, it's just a shame that there is no BD release to go with it as I'd much rather have optimum visual quality.

I also agree that Oil On Canvas does sound too clean and my understanding is that some of the tracks are actually studio versions (some if not all of the instrumentals). My point was that in direct comparison with the number of tracks, Monument looked like the cheap option. Oil On Canvas was gatefold double album with 15 tracks, Monument only had the 6.

As previously mentioned, you can pick up Oil On Canvas on DVD now on a Best Of, although it looks as if it was deleted and you can only pick it up second hand from Amazon. The sound was great but picture quality not so much, but I haven't seen it in a while so it may look better upscaled on my blu-ray player.

You can get it here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Japan-Very-Best-...4385&sr=8-5